Sevket’s Academic CV
- Post-doctoral research associate (SOAS, London University) 2012-2014 Working project title: Seaside-resort Muslims and mosques in South-East England: Historical, cultural & social change in 21st century UK.
- Senior teaching fellow (SOAS, London University) 2011-2012
- PhD. (SOAS, London University) completed 2011, Socialisation channels, education, & theory in Soviet-era Central Asia, 1924-1991.
‘Cultural Change in Central Asia: Brezhnev, Modern Sports, and Memories in Uzbekistan, 1964 to 1982’, History Studies–International Journal of History, Vol. 12, No. 1, Feb 2020, pp. 34-54. http://www.historystudies.net/dergiayrinti/cultural-change-in-central-asia-brezhnev-modern-sports-and-memories-in-uzbekistan-1964-to-1982_1593
‘Modern and Folk Sport in Central Asia under Lenin and Stalin: Uzbekistan from 1925 to 1952’, Vakanuvis — International Journal of Historical Researches, Vol. 4. Issue 2, 2019, pp. 515-541. https://dergipark.org.tr/en/pub/vakanuvis/issue/48884/595032
Book review: Seth Bernstein, ‘Raised Under Stalin. Young Communists and the Defence of Socialism’. Europe-Asia Studies, Vol. 71., Issue 3, 2019, pp. 511-513. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/09668136.2019.1593621
‘Sport has become the privilege of the millions’: Physical culture in Uzbekistan 1924-1991, Alexander Morrison and S.S. Saxena (eds), Proceedings of the XII Biennial Conference of the European Society for Central Asian Studies: Central Asia: A Maturing Field, University of Cambridge, (Cambridge, Cambridge Scientific Publishers, 2017). https://searchworks.stanford.edu/view/12437990
‘Introducing Seaside Town Muslims: Eastbourne Mosque History and Politics’, Journal of Muslims in Europe, Vol. 4. Issue. 2, 2015, pp. 197-222, Brill. http://booksandjournals.brillonline.com/content/journals/22117954
S. Akyildiz & R. Carlson (eds), Social and Cultural Change in Central Asia: The Soviet Legacy, London: Routledge (2013). http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415704533/
“‘Learn, learn, learn!’ Soviet-style in Uzbekistan: Aims and Implementation”, in S. Akyildiz and R. Carlson (ed.) Social and Cultural Change in Central Asia: The Soviet Legacy, London: Routledge (2013). http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415704533/
‘Introduction: The Soviet Legacy’, in S. Akyildiz and R. Carlson (eds) Social and Cultural Change in Central Asia: The Soviet Legacy, London, Routledge, (2013). http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415704533/
‘Soviet Physical Culture in Uzbekistan 1924-1991: Implementation and Legacy’, in Dave Day (ed.) Sports and Coaching – Pasts and Futures. Manchester Metropolitan University, Manchester, (2012). ISBN 9781905476770 http://buyonline.mmu.ac.uk/browse/extra_info.asp?modid=1&prodid=793&deptid=17&catid=67&prodvarid=0
‘Sovietisation in Uzbekistan 1980-1991: A Success or Failure?‘, Twentieth Century Communism-A Journal of International History: Local Communisms, Issue 5. June 2013. ISBN 978-1-907103-83-4 Lawrence & Wishart. http://www.lwbooks.co.uk/journals/twentiethcenturycommunism/issue/TCC5.html
Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute (JRAI) Volume 18. Issue 4. December 2012. pp. 916-17: Donahoe, Brian & Joachim Otto Habeck (eds) Reconstructing the House of Culture: community, self, and the makings of culture in Russia and beyond, xii, 336 pp., maps, figs, tables, illus., bibliogrs. Oxford, New York: Berghahn Books, 2011. £55.00 (cloth) http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-9655.2012.01798_29.x/abstract
Public engagement and outreach
Media and blogs
- Sevket Hylton Akyildiz, FacultiTV, August 2013, ‘British Muslims of small-town East Sussex’, https://faculti.net/artshums/rel/
- Sevket Akyildiz, Blog article (CESMI & British Broadcasting Corporation): Assessing Uzbekistan’s Olympic Performance, 1992-2012. http://cesmi.info/wp/?p=202
- BBC Uzbek: http://www.bbc.co.uk/uzbek/institutional/2012/08/120824_cy_uzbek_shevket_akyildiz.shtml
- BBC Kyrgyz: http://www.bbc.co.uk/kyrgyz/in_depth/2012/08/120827_sevket_hilton_take_on.shtml
Conference & workshop convenor & administrator
Annual PhD Methodology Conference: Regional Studies, Panel Chair of Post Soviet East Europe and Central Asia, London Centre for Social Studies (LCSS) & SOAS, University of London, 14 March, London 2015.
Social and Economic Development in Central Asia: Theory and Practice: Hosted by Royal Holloway, University of London & the Eurasia Studies Society of Great Britain and Europe (TESS-GB-EUROPE), Bedford Square, London, 24 January 2014. http://eurasiastudies-society.com/london-2014a/
Muslims and Sports Workshop 2013. Department of Anthropology and Sociology, School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, Russell Square, London, 6 July 2013. http://eurasiastudies-society.com/2013b/ http://www.soas.ac.uk/anthropology/events/06jul2013-muslims-and-sports-workshop-.html
METHODOLOGICAL CHOICES AND CHALLENGES PhD CONFERENCE 2013. Advisory committee member & chairperson of the panel: Academic Research and Technology. Convenor: the London Centre for Social Studies (LCSS), held at King’s College, University of London, London, 19 April 2013. http://www.kcl.ac.uk/law/eventrecords/LCSS-PhD-Conference-2013-Methodological-Choices-and-Challenges.aspx
METHODOLOGIES AND THEORIES IN THE THIRD DECADE hosted by The Eurasia Studies Society TESS (of Great Britain & Europe) with Royal Holloway, University of London. Bedford Square, London. November 2012.
SECOND ANNUAL INTERDISCIPLINARY EURASIA POSTGRADUATE CONFERENCE hosted by The Eurasia Studies Society TESS (of Great Britain & Europe). Room G2. The School of Oriental and African Studies, London. 18 February 2012. http://www.ucl.ac.uk/archaeology/calendar/articles/20120218
Chairperson at ‘THE 2ND CONFERENCE ON TURKS ABROAD’. Turkish Society of SOAS. SOAS, Room G2 London, 10 February 2012.
2011 SOAS POSTGRADUATE SYMPOSIUM ON CENTRAL ASIA, THE CAUCASUS AND EURASIA. Brunei Gallery, The School of Oriental and African Studies, London. 26 February 2011.http://www.soas.ac.uk/about/events/index.php?nd=2011-02-21&view=wee
- Recession and Cutting State Subsidies, Limited ‘Market Reforms’ in Sport and Leisure – and Public Critique: Russia and the Five ‘Stans’, 1986-1991, British Society of Sports History BSSH Seminar, Institute of Historical Research, Olga Crisp Room, Senate House, London 11 May 2015.
- History of Eastbourne Mosque. Eastbourne Local History Society (ELHS), St. Saviours & St. Peters Church Hall, Eastbourne, East Sussex, Tuesday 2.00-3.15pm, 3 February 2015.
- My paper was read in my absence by Prof. Hugh Goddard: Seaside Town British Muslims: Eastbourne’s Mosque Community, Inaugural Conference of the British Association for Islamic Studies (BRAIS) 11 April 2014, University of Edinburgh, April 2014.
- ‘The Rise and Fall of Local Capitalist Entrepreneurs, Tea Houses and Day Trips: Wannock, East Sussex, UK’. The British Society of Sports History (BSSH), South of England Sport and Leisure History Network Workshop, Leisure and Tourism Panel, South East Branch, University of Sussex, 26 October 2013.
- ‘Sport is Revolutionary And Not A Distraction For the Working Class!: Soviet Physical Culture in Uzbekistan 1924-1991’. BRITISH SPORTS STUDIES CONFERENCE. University of Glasgow, Scotland. September 2012.
- ‘A Freshwater Spring Beside the Sea: A Local Holy Well’. AFFECTIVE LANDSCAPES CONFERENCE. University of Derby. 25/26 May 2012.
- ‘Building the Soviet City and Fostering Physical Culture: The Tashkent Story’. SPORT AND THE CITY: COMPETITION, CULTURES, IDENTITIES AND URBAN LIFE SINCE 1880. Westminster University. 24/25 April 2012.
- ‘A Multicultural Pioneer Palace in Soviet Tashkent: Acquiring Civic Values in Leisure’. POSTGRADUATE SYMPOSIUM CULTURAL CONSTRUCTION IN THE USSR AND STATES OF THE FORMER SOVIET BLOC. University of Nottingham. 17/18 March 2012.
- ‘The People of Uzbekistan and the Olympics 1924-2012: Prestige and Multicultural Heroes’. BOSPORUS SOCIETY: CULTURE AND ECONOMICS. The School of Oriental and African Studies, London. December 2011.
- ‘Olympic Culture in Soviet Uzbekistan: Prestige, Values and Multicultural Heroes’. THE EUROPEAN SOCIETY FOR CENTRAL ASIASTUDIES (ESCAS)XII BIENNIAL CONFERENCE – CENTRAL ASIA: A MATURING FIELD. Churchill College,University of Cambridge.20-22 September 2011.
- ‘Would the Soviet Central Asians Rebel against Moscow circa 1980-1991?: State Multiculturalism and the Internalization of Civic Values’. TWENTIETH CENTURY COMMUNISM’S: LOCAL COMMUNISMS. University of Glamorgan, Cardiff, Wales. 30 June – 1 July 2011.
- ‘Olympic Culture in Soviet Uzbekistan 1951-1991: Prestige, Values & Multicultural Heroes’. SPORTS AND COACHING: PASTS AND FUTURES. Manchester Metropolitan University. 25-26 June 2011.
- ‘A Multicultural Pioneer Palace in Soviet Tashkent: Acquiring Civic Values in Leisure’. SITES OF CITIZENSHIP. Kings College, University of London. 10 June 2011.
- ‘When Activism Is Channelled By The State: Red Academics In Uzbekistan Circa 1930s-1940s’. SOAS RESEARCH STUDENTS CONFERENCE: ACTIVISM & ACADEMICS. The School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London. 12 March 2011.
- ‘Soviet Olympic Culture In Uzbekistan 1951-1991: Prestige & Local Heroes’. TRACES OF EMPIRE: LINGUISTIC AND CULTURAL CONTACTS ACROSS CENTRAL AND INNER ASIA POSTGRADUATE SYMPOSIUM. Department of East Asian Studies & Leeds Humanities Research Institute, University of Leeds. 7 June 2010. http://www.ocamagazine.com/symposium-%E2%80%9Ctraces-of-empire-cultural-and-linguistic-contacts-across-central-and-inner-asia%E2%80%9D
- Sevket Hylton Akyildiz, ‘Hastings Mosque and Muslims in “1066 Country”: Seaside Resort Town Muslims of Hastings & St. Leonards-on-Sea, East Sussex, United Kingdom (circa 1985 to 2015), https://www.academia.edu/20257970/Hastings_Mosque_and_Muslims_East_Sussex_Seaside_Resort_Muslims
- Sevket Akyildiz, ‘The Rediscovery of a Freshwater Spring beside the Sea: a Local Holy Well?’, Landscape and Arts Network (LAN) No. 17, October 2011. https://www.academia.edu/1030111/The_Rediscovery_of_a_Freshwater_Spring_beside_the_Sea_a_Local_Holy_Well
- Sevket Akyildiz, ‘An Introductory History of Soviet Uzbek Academics 1924-1960’, Polyvocia SOAS Journal of Graduate Research Students, Vol 4, Spring 2012. https://www.academia.edu/1516721/An_Introductory_History_of_Soviet_Uzbek_Academics_1924-1960.
- Sevket Akyildiz, ‘Olympic Culture in Soviet Uzbekistan 1951-1991’, Polyvocia SOAS Journal of Graduate Research Students, Vol. 3, Spring-2011. https://www.academia.edu/497166/Olympic_Culture_in_Soviet_Uzbekistan_1951-1991_International_Prestige_and_Local_Heroes